Is the SEC Still the Toughest Conference in CFB?
Is the SEC still the toughest conference in CFB?
There is nothing, and I mean nothing that gets me all hot and bothered like some college football. I LIVE for Saturday’s in the fall.
Tailgating with a flannel, cowboy boots and a giant flying WV face tattoo to remind myself even though I am now an “alumni” (ew) I can still cheer just as hard.
AND FINALLY IT’S BACK! (Well, sort of).
So no, don’t get up at 9am on Saturday morning because College Game Day hasn’t started just yet, but even Power 5 Conference media days are getting me excited. After an extremely successful first year of the College Football Playoff, conference schedules are now being discussed picked apart and scrutinized more than ever.
Who has the toughest schedule? Who has the best non-conference games? Who has the best championship game? Which conference reigns supreme?
ESPN’s Football Power Index has six SEC schools in the top 10 including Auburn and Alabama (Iron Bowl 😍) and 12 schools in the top 20. Who has the toughest non-conference schedule for an SEC team you ask? Well that would be the sassy Steve Spurrier’s South Carolina Gamecocks with three of the hardest non conference games in the country.
The SEC football programs are known for their ability to recruit and every season’s top 10 rankings are evidence of that fact. With a wide range of schools, coaches and athletic talent they are arguably the most talked about conference in college football, and quiet possibly the most competitive.
And I’m not just talking about their fans.
SEC football has some of the most demanding fans with the highest of standards and overflowing passion. Alabama won 12 games last season under Nick Saban, but their fans perceived that as failure after the CFB playoff loss. Let’s see how things “roll” out this season, but with the SEC you never know what can happen. Is it game day yet, cause DAMN we’re done waiting!
BONUS! For sh*ts and gigs let’s look at things SEC fans never say, courtesy of SEC memes…
1. I’ll have an unsweet tea, please.
2. I can’t remember the last time I was at Wal-mart.
3. I don’t have a favorite team; college football ain’t really my thing.
4. One day we’ll win a National Championship.
5. Gross! You can’t fry that!
6. I really respect the Big 10.
7. I can’t imagine killing an animal and eating it. Pass the veggie tray, please.
8. Paying football coaches $4 million a year is ridiculous.
9. Honestly, I think we should sell the pickup and buy a minivan.
10. I can’t wait for your Fall wedding on a Saturday!
Betchy… And we love it.